Saturday, May 16, 2015

If it was not for the Journalism curriculum that I belonged to during my high school years, I would probably a Fine Arts student right now. I never chose Journalism. In fact, I purposely failed the entrance exam for the Special Program in Journalism curriculum. They say that I am good in the English subject but I believe that I just suck terribly at Math and Science so I landed here. Nevertheless, with almost six years of "training" as a journalist, I can say that I already fell in love with it and this is what I wanted to do.

I have joined a lot of Journalism contests. May it be photojournalism, broadcasting or copy reading. These contests served as our training ground to improve our skills and be better at our soon to be profession.

I have always wondered if I could immediately land a job after graduation. Most of the seminars that I have been to said that during their batch as journalism and broadcasting majors, only ten made it to the business. And that journalists does not make a lot of money but requires a lot of effort and little sleep.

If I were to be a true journalist, I would love to be a part of big news papers like Manila Bulletin and the Daily Inquirer. Even though the print media is slowly dying because of technology, I would always prefer the pen and paper. It is just like reading a story out of a book compared with reading a story out of a gadget. You will never get that satisfaction when you read using your phone or tablet. And you will always embrace the smell of a new book.

It is true that most news paper writers do not get enough credit by the people as much as TV journalists do but fame is not the reason why we are entering the media world. We are doing it because we wanted to serve the public and not be famous. If I wanted to be famous, then I should have just entered the showbiz. I can always take up acting lessons and have plastic surgeries.

Everyone starts at the bottom. It may be hard at first but some day, my byline will be the banner story of the day. And when someone asks "What is the banner story for today?" they can see my name at the first page of the paper.

My high school teacher once told me that journalists must have a pretty-face to make it to the business so I should not be one. But a pretty face would not make it to the business if she does not have the skills. And so, I am trying the best I can to be better and learn a lot.

Traditional journalism is not dead and will never die. With the new generation of journalist like us, we will prove to the world that technology will not kill the true meaning of reporting.

No comments:

Post a Comment